Editorial Cartoon Itinerant by Thiago Lucas
The project consists of carrying out traveling exhibitions of editorial cartoons in public and private schools, colleges and universities.
A Editorial Cartoon is a humor cartoon that aims to reflect on the most varied aspects of society, such as political, social, economic, historical and cultural issues. Its raw material is the events of the moment.
The objective is to publicize and highlight the importance of the editorial cartoon as an important ally in the construction and development of the students’ critical process in relation to the local, national and global reality, in addition to reflecting on our role as human beings in society.
Art needs to be attentive to the sensitive issues of human relationships, such as inequalities, prejudices, authoritarianism and other themes that generate suffering for people. Given this, the cartoon is attentive denouncing the absurdities that permeate human history.
- Exposure frequency
The time the exhibition will be available will be defined specifically with each institution, according to the interest of each manager and pedagogical project.
Due to its itinerant nature, at the end of the exhibition period, the author will go to the institution and will be responsible for removing the material.
- Technical aspects
- 34 colored editorial cartoons on photographic paper, each measuring 30cmx40cm. NOTE: Depending on the structure and choice of the institution, this value may vary for adaptation;
- 9 drawings will have a QR Code where the student can direct the cell phone camera and will have access to the moving version: the cartoon;
- 1 banner measuring 80cmx120cm with a photo of the author, title of the exhibition and logos of the project’s supporters.
- The author of the project
Thiago Lucas is Brazilian, born in Recife in 1987, he is a historian graduated from the Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE) and has a postgraduate degree in Northeast History from the Catholic University of Pernambuco (UNICAP), during this period he developed a research on the cartoon as a discourse critic about the “Drought Industry” in the Brazilian Northeast.
His interest in cartoons and caricatures arose at the age of 14, when he began to follow the drawings published in newspapers in Pernambuco, since then, he built a dream and a certainty for his life: “to be a cartoonist”. For him, interpreting the world through graphic humor is a form of resistance and engagement in the face of such an unequal and excluding world.
From then on, he specialized in the area of imagery representation and developed some professional works, among them, in the newspaper Folha de Pernambuco from 2009 to 2015, working as a cartoonist and illustrator, and currently with the same role in the Sistema Jornal do Commercio de Comunicação.
Among the publications and events, his participation in the works Ao Mestre Com Carinho stands out – a biographical book in honor of Ziraldo’s 85th birthday, organized by Edra Amorim, O Santo Revelado – Fotobiografia de Dom Helder Câmara, organized by Augusto Lins Soares. catalogs of the Muestra Internacional de las Artes de Humor, promoted by the Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, in Spain and of the Festival internationale journalism, in Couthures-sur-Garonne, in France. In addition, his cartoons, illustrations and caricatures are published in magazines, websites, newspapers and textbooks.
He was also awarded in Brazil and abroad, such as Colombia, the United States, Italy, Poland and Portugal, in addition to having participated in several exhibitions and graphic arts catalogs around the world.
He is a member of two important international organizations of cartoonists: Cartoon Movement (Netherlands) and Cartooning for Peace (France).
- Project supporters
- Jornal do Commercio (Brazil)
- TV Jornal (Brazil)
- ANPUH-PE – National History Association (Brazil)
- Postgraduate Program in History – Unicap (Brazil)
- Cartoon Movement (Netherlands)
- Buduàr Magazine (Italy)
- Tabriz Cartoons (Iran)
- India Toons (India)
- Exhibition poster
- Photograph: Deise Cristina
- Examples of cartoons that will be in the exhibition
- Instagram: thiagochargista
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbLECTA1p63dESPOOw11_dg/featured
Best Wishes from India Toons